Have you ever considered a career as a Legal Secretary?
22 Feb 2017
Read our latest blog post to find out more about what a career as a Legal Secretary entails..
A career in law isn’t all about court rooms, judges and wigs. A competent legal secretary is vital to support solicitors and barristers in the office and for the preparation of cases.
What does the role involve?
A legal secretary’s role is to provide administrative and secretarial assistance to solicitors and legal executives. Depending on the company, the role of a legal secretary will vary. Small firms will cover a wide variety of legal subjects, whereas if you work for a larger company, you will most likely specialise in a particular aspect of the law.
In a typical day a legal secretary will:
- Preparing legal documents such as court papers and contracts
- Diary management on behalf of your employer
- Answering calls and dealing with correspondence on behalf of your employer
- Attending court and police cells with solicitors
- Handling confidential information
- Managing records
- General administrative and secretarial tasks
- Hours- Legal secretaries tend to work standard business hours, and there are often part time options available
- Career Progression- There may be options for career progression with this role into other roles such as legal executive or a solicitor, with the right training and education
- Income- Legal secretaries are usually paid a competitive salary, which is usually higher than a typical secretary role. As you can see from our Brightwater Salary Survey 2017, legal secretaries can expect to earn anything from £18,000-£25,000 per annum.
- Benefits- Many companies offer fantastic benefits to employees such as social events, bonuses, flexible working options and health cover.
Legal secretary positions are continuing to grow in Northern Ireland which is a direct outcome of new companies entering our market and expansion of existing companies.
We work with a number of leading firms across Northern Ireland who have job openings at present. To find out more about these roles and to register your interest, why not attend our Legal Secretary Open Day on Tuesday 28th February 2017 in our Offices in 51/53 Adelaide Street, Belfast, BT2 8FE for a 1-to-1 confidential chat with Natasha or Stephanie.
To book your appointment: